At OTC we believe in tailoring our courses to meet each client’s specific requirements. The illustrative course outline below gives an indication of the type of course content that we’ve been asked to deliver. For more information call us on +44 20 7700 3330 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Strategy & Leadership Finance & Commerce Investment Banking
Introduction to hedge funds
What is covered?
An overview of the history and development of the hedge fund market and the key types of hedge fund strategy employed, together with a review of the hedge fund products offered to banking clients. The course specifically looks into strategies of: arbitrage, long and short, events and global macro.
Who will benefit?
Participants with an interest in strategies employed by hedge funds in generating returns. An understanding of basic financial products would be useful.
What is a hedge fund?
Structure of a typical hedge fund and hedge fund strategies
- Alfred Jones and the development of the hedge fund industry
- What differentiates a hedge fund from a mutual fund?
- What are the main types of hedge fund - arbitrage, global macro?
- Legal structure (domicile, legal entity)
- Private equity
Long and short
- The transaction cost barrier
- Fixed income arbitrage
- Convertibles bond arbitrage
Events - based trading and special situations
- Management styles - top down/bottom up
- Bottom up investing
- Active vs. Passive management
- Types of event and how to profit from them
- Distressed securities
- Merger arbitrage
- Risks of directional trading
Assessing hedge fund performance
- Investment strategies
- Risks and controlling risk
- Data transparency issues
- Value at risk
- External measures, benchmarking